As if life isn’t already hard enough on it’s own, why must I have to choose between Abs and actually enjoying food? It’s really not fair….but I have to admit, food wins every single time, food makes me HAPPY! Anyways , I have come to accept the fact that I will never have a six pack and that’s ok! They say abs are made in the kitchen and this is largely true, you can workout seven days a week, but if you have a poor diet , you won’t see the results that you want. Unfortunately for me, I love food too much, as evidenced by my post on my strategy on tackling a buffet, if you haven’t already checked it out, you can do so here…
I find it daunting and honestly way too much effort to do this whole meal prep thing, not to mention eating the same thing for 5 days straight….to all those people who actually do this , kudos to you, I wish I had that amount of dedication and commitment . I am not the kind of person to sacrifice enjoying my meals just so that I can look great in a bikini, in my humble opinion, you only live once, so make it count, eat that cake! drink that smoothie, CHOCOLATE!!
In an attempt to be able to enjoy what I eat and still be happy with how I look I decided to start following the motto of “Everything in moderation” . This means trying to balance my meals and only “cheat” maybe twice a week. It is more important to be healthy and happy than to look like a fitness model. Here are some simple tips to help you out if you find it difficult to maintain that balance:
- Healthier food options – For instance, if I am feeling for a burger for lunch , instead of a beef patty I might have a grilled chicken sandwich , and instead of fries, I may have a salad as the side. Simple swaps like this can save you a lot of carbs and fat. I also decreased my intake of fast foods tremendously, that means no KFC, Wendy’s , McDonalds etc etc. The most I might have these are maybe twice a month. Always try to keep your lunch or dinner options balanced with one lean protein e.g grilled chicken breast a side(s) of vegetables (my favorites are salads like quinoa salad, tabouli or cous cous salad) and maybe a healthy carb like sweet potatoes or whole grain pasta. A great healthy alternative is ice cream is frozen yogurt! The taste is exactly the same as ice cream but with more than 6 times less the fat!
You can check out my post on healthy breakfast options here : Breakfast Battles
- Limit sugar intake – When I started making healthier food decisions I stopped drinking “soda” and juice , these products are so loaded with sugar that they are really terrible for your health. On the odd occasion I might have some natural fruit juice , because I actually love fresh squeezed orange juice or grapefruit juice (extra points for all the vitamin C) , but I tend to stay away from all the commercial brands unless they contain at least 80% fruit juice. The one thing that is my absolute weakness is DESSERTS, I love, love love desserts!! Or as they say I have a “Weakness for Sweetness”. I don’t think there’s any such thing as a healthy dessert (or at least not that I would consider a REAL dessert) so instead I try to limit my dessert intake to twice a week.
- Weights, weights , weights – I cannot stress enough how important it is to incorporate weights into your workout routine ; not only will you look better because weights help to tone your body and give definition , but you will also be alot stronger. Lifting will NOT make you bulky!! For all the ladies out there that think that lifting will make you bulky, please note that we simply do not have enough testosterone in our bodies for this to happen , what you will get are muscles, definition and some killer curves! Honestly, my workout is usually 10% cardio and 90% weights, lifting weights gives you that total badass feeling and it feels AWESOME! Another fantastic reason to lift is that when you build muscle, your body is able to burn fat alot quicker , in fact, you can actually be burning calories 24 hours a day , muscles burn more calories .
For some ideas on how to switch up your workout routine , you can check out my post on the equipment that carry with me to the gym :What’s in your gym bag?
- Portion Control – This one sounds like a no brainer but sometimes our emotions and greediness) get the better of us. Up to a few years ago , I ate like a horse, I mean I could literally challenge most of the guys that I know. To put it bluntly , my nickname was “the vortex” , because they believed that my stomach was a never ending hole which is why I was able to eat so much…..Anyways, I have since changed my unhealthy ways and as a result I don’t , in fact I can’t, eat as much as I used to, although I have to admit I still do eat more than the average girl. However, due to getting “old” my metabolism isn’t what it used to be and therefore sacrifices had to be made , quality over quantity. When trying to figure out how much you should eat, always keep in mind exactly WHAT you are eating , if you are eating dishes that are high in fats and carbs , keep the quantity to a minimum , for example, if you are eating pizza, try to stick to two slices , unless of course it’s thin crust, then you’re allowed up to 4 =) . When it comes to desserts the same applies , if you are eating ice cream, resist the urge to get an entire sundae, instead opt for one scoop in a cup instead of a cone. The only time I allow myself to really “let go” is at a buffet , I mean, it’s unlimited food…..enough said.
- Lastly and most importantly , do what makes you happy, you only have one life to live, life is about experiences, and that includes experiencing all the delicious, amazing food that this diverse world has to offer . Once you are healthy , that is all that matters, do not feel like you need to fit into what you feel is society’s idea of what is “beautiful” or “sexy” , you know what is sexy? being confident in your skin and being proud of who you are . Life is too short to deny yourself simple pleasures like tiramisu or cheesy fries! JUST DO ITTTTTT!!! then go to the gym or take a jog the next day, it’s really not rocket science. Every time someone asks me why I go to the gym I say “So I can eat what I want” , and this is 100% true , its important to remember that everything comes with a price and honestly, once you start working out it becomes almost like an addiction, but a good one .
I cannot and will NEVER be a “clean” eater and that’s OK, I follow all the rules above and I’m happy with who I am, as I write this I am craving a dessert so you know what means, Cake shall be had! Sometimes you just have to say “F#%k it! Treat Yo Self!!”